A Hub of Activity
Team Stories - EDI in Calgary
The EDI Environmental Dynamics Inc. Calgary office opened its doors in 2014 and is growing based on client demand. In the last two years, the team has doubled in size. In fact, the Calgary staff moved into a larger office last summer, located at 220-736 8th Avenue South West. “From a regional perspective, Calgary is a great location. It’s the corporate headquarters for many of our clients and acts as a hub for shared efforts among our offices in Calgary, Grande Prairie and Saskatoon” states Meighan Kearns, EDI’s Prairies Regional Director.
Team members at EDI Calgary have a range of talents offered by specialists in aquatic and terrestrial sciences, regulatory compliance, project management and GIS.
The industry sectors served by the office are diverse, but currently focus on oil and gas, renewable energy, and transportation. “One of the real strengths of our Calgary team is how everyone pitches in to support not only our Prairie Region projects, but those at other EDI offices in BC and the Territories” explains Meighan.
The EDI Calgary team provides environmental consulting services focused on:
- aquatic assessments, including fish and fish habitat and watercourse crossing assessments
- wetland assessments, consistent with the Alberta Wetland Policy requirements
- terrestrial soil and vegetation assessments, including Pre-disturbance Site Assessments (PDSA) and Conservation and Reclamation Plans
- wildlife and wildlife habitat surveys, including pre-disturbance wildlife sweeps and sensitive species surveys
- environmental constraints analyses and mapping for development planning
- construction support, including environmental monitoring, erosion and sediment control plans, Environmental Management Plans (EMP)/ Environmental Protection Plans (EPP), fish rescue/salvages and regulatory applications and notifications
- reclamation planning, including vegetation trials for mine reclamation
- federal and provincial regulatory application submissions
The EDI Calgary team is efficient, collaborative, and competitive, as illustrated through their active participation in EDI’s Commuter Challenge each year. This corporate event involves EDI employees using alternative forms of transportation to get to and from work for the entire month of May and, in doing so, earning points for their regional team based on the distance covered and the type of commuting method. This year, the Prairies Region came in 2nd overall and boasted the highest participation rate of all eight regional offices
EDI Calgary has a softer side too, with staff occasionally bringing their favorite furry friends into the office for the day.
These lucky pooches are even included in the staff in-out list for the office.
Calgary Team Member Daryl Johannesen at the Office with His Dog