Mary River Terrestrial Wildlife Baseline & Impact Assessment
EDI assessed distribution and abundance of terrestrial wildlife in the vicinity of the Mary River iron ore project in north-central Baffin Island, Nunavut. In addition to wildlife surveys, five local communities were engaged to share knowledge and determine the value and use of terrestrial wildlife. We gathered traditional knowledge on caribou habitat and abundance cycles, and summarized that knowledge in a spatial database. The traditional knowledge and survey data were used as a baseline to conduct an impact assessment to determine practical options to mitigate the effects of the mine, road and railway on caribou habitat and movement.
Our Role in the Project
- Implementation of terrestrial wildlife distribution and habitat use inventories.
- Gathering and incorporating traditional ecological knowledge.
- Spatial data compilation and Geographic Information System (GIS) analyses.
- Satellite collar data analyses – Resource Selection Probability Function (RSPF).
- Conducting scientifically based impact assessment and mitigation analysis.
- Technical editing of project submission.
Services we provided
We can help with your project.