The Murray River Project is a proposed underground coal mine located southwest of Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia within the Peace River Coalfield. Situated in an area well known for producing metallurgical grade (hard coking) coal, the project is expected to produce high quality coal for making steel. HD has carried out exploration, technical assessments and initiated the bulk coal sample program in 2013. Environmental Assessment baseline studies have been ongoing since 2010.
Our Role in the Project
Our role in the Project includes:
- Development of wildlife habitat suitability ratings for the purpose of:
- Quantifying the ability of ecosystem capacity for specific wildlife species.
- Providing information to plan mitigation and monitor potential effects of the development.
- Determine use of project area by migratory waterfowl during spring and fall staging.
- Year-round water quality sampling within the project area.
- Aquatic resources baseline sampling of primary (periphyton, phytoplankton) and secondary (zooplankton, benthic invertebrates) producers.